Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hunger by Steve McQueen


I went to see Hunger by Steve McQueen tonight. It was absolutely immense. The camera work, the sound(or rather, lack of!) the emotion, it is a very beautifully shot film. It wa very emotional however, with some scenes which I would rather not watch again!

I've read through some pretty interesting reviews and interviews about this film and with Steve McQueen, this was his first film, as he usually displays his work in galleries because he is an artist. I think that this would be of great influence as to how he directed and shot the film. It is visually very different to alot of films I have seen. I also like the way he doesn't take sides with either Bobby Sands or the prison guards, you feel as emotional for them as you do the protesters.

"I want the screen, in effect, to be a massive mirror. When you're looking at that, you are really looking at yourself - and sometimes you may not always like what you see. I'd like audiences to realise what we are as a nation, and what we have done over the years. Cinema, it seems to me, has a power that is beyond purely being entertaining..." Steve McQueen SOURCE


No comments: