Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Conversation between Jonas Mekas and Stan Brakhage

http://www.logosjournal.com/brakhage_mekas.htm

This is an interview I was reading between the two avant-garde film-makers, Jonas Mekas and Stan Brakhage.
A few things I found interesting about their conversation that they said 'sometimes you just have to go back to the essence of things, what really is cinema, painting, poetry...'
Another interesting thing Stan Brakhage said was that (and although this was obvious, I just thought it was a nice description) 'There are no two people on Earth who are alike. All their cells are unique as snowflakes.'

Jonas Mekas says 'The shape of my films emerges from the accumulation of the material itself. I am a filmer. I film real life'..... I found this interesting and relative to my own work because I would like to think that has been the case in some of my earlier photography work. I took photos of everyday life and people etc etc etc they may not mean much alone, but the accumulation of all the photos together gives them meaning, a shape of sorts.

No comments: