Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mirror -Tarkovsky





We watched Mirror by Tarovsky in our Visual Culture lecture yesterday. Needless to say I think about 99% of us were completely bewildered and didn't even know where to start to try and de-code it. However one cannot deny the fact that it is an absolutely brilliantly filmed movie. I really want to watch it a good few times and do alot of reading about it. I think the jist of the story (not that it has a definite linear storyline to it) but I think it is about this notion of space and time and it is disjointed, and we are looking at a period of time from many different sides of a diamond, as one would say, the main characters in the movie vary from different ages all the time, like the film is showing various parts of their lives, but it is not in proper succession, this is where the notion of space and time comes in. This is something I will have to research more about, anyway, the film is amazing. Reading about it must be done (and I'd say research before watching the film for the first time would be a bit more necessary to understand it a bit better, espesh for the first time...).


No comments: